Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D7100 owner ... WOW!

jec6613

Norwalk, US
1315 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jec6613 Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Fri 24-Jan-14 02:51 AM

So, I started with a DSLR with a D5100, then D5200, and I've also had significant exposure to and used quite a bit the D5000, D40x and a bit with the D7000. (yeah, all of my friends and family use Nikon, too).

The D5100 I liked a lot, but with the D5200 the images were just unsharp, and the AF kept missing, constantly. I tried new glass, tried everything, and finally got it traded up and spent more to get a D7100. I took it out this past weekend to some family events, which is a good time for me to get acquainted with a new camera (3,000 clicks later ...), and, WOW! The images just seem to pop off of the screen, and the AF system almost reads my mind, and focuses in any light I throw at it, even nearly pitch black. This is especially good, since staring at old NEFs for hours on end at 100%, I found that the D5200 just never focused properly when using the PDAF system Not to mention, the ergonomics compared to the smaller bodies are an absolute dream, with a bigger grip meaning I can leave my hand on it for longer.

So, enough ranting and raving about how amazing it is, and onto two questions for the more experienced D7100 users:

First, as much as I love this camera, it's a big Mag-alloy body, and I feel bad throwing my 18-55 on the front when it really needs at least the 16-85 for best results. What's a good second (plastic) body to go with it, where I won't have jarring control differences? preferably one without the 39 point AF system that's left such a bad taste in my mouth, and using the EN-EL14 batteries I now have five of doing not a whole lot.

Second, is the MB-D15 worth it? My current longest lens is the AF-S 70-300 VR, but I'm either going to be adding the AF-D 80-400 VR or AF-S 300 f/4 to my arsenal soon, and while I felt I needed the grip, absolutely, with the D5100 and D5200, I no longer feel it's necessary on this body.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7200 | 12-24 | 16-85 VR | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8G | 85 f/1.8G (and other gear, too!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G