Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with D7000 spot metering and SB700

SarahJeanIris

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SarahJeanIris Registered since 28th Dec 2013
Sat 28-Dec-13 10:32 PM

When using my SB700 with my D7000 at night indoors I have been having trouble getting ambient light in the background of my shots to be as bright as I would like it to be. For example, natural light such as candles, chandeliers and twinkle lights end up looking dimmer than I would like them to. To solve this problem and be able to preserve the ambient light better I would like to use spot metering instead of matrix metering to meter for the ambient light and then use fill flash to fill in my subjects. I have used spot metering without my SB700 and achieved great results and have been able to make ambient light appear as dim or as bright as I would like it to be. However, when using spot metering with my SB700 I don't see the same results. No matter what part of the room (the brightest spot or darkest corner) I meter for, the brightness of the ambient light doesn't change at all. Am I missing something? I'm using aperture mode with the slowest shutter speed and highest ISO that I'm comfortable with to still stop motion and get high quality images. I have my SB700 on TTL mode. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarah

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Problem with D7000 spot metering and SB700

G