Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Depth of field, one more question

Seragone

Reston, US
260 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Seragone Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012
Sat 28-Dec-13 03:23 PM

Hello all, I learned from you how to better control depth of field under difficult lighting conditions (in an earlier thread 30921). The setup (AF-C, AE-L to AF-on, preview button to AE-hold and Back-button focus) works great for me in my early picture taking tests. But I have three additional questions. The first is why AF-C? It seems that by disconnecting the exposure and focusing functions from the shutter any of the three settings (AF-C, AF-S and AF-A) should be able to achieve focus and not change it when the shutter is used to take the picture. The second question is why doesn't the focus icon in the viewfinder stay on after I release the back button? It probably is because I am using AF-C but, if so, it doesn't matter as the focusing, though still active will not change when the shutter is used to take the picture. The last question is whether spot metering can be used in this setup. I am using matrix metering now and use it to improve exposure of the subject by focusing on the subject even though matrix metering covers the entire image. Spot metering may be a more accurate way to meter the subject though. Hope I an clear in my questions. Thanks in advance. Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Depth of field, one more question

G