Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?

lemieszek

BR
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lemieszek Registered since 03rd Dec 2010
Fri 10-Dec-10 10:11 PM

hi all,

I received my D7000 about a week ago and I couldn't be happier.

after a couple of days of use, though, my kit lens started making a distinct, high pitch noise when AFing. sounds a bit like the metallic noise an old hamster wheel would make when rolling (sorry, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than that . it's not loud, but quite noticeable. the focus speed and accuracy isn't affected (as far as I can tell), but I'm slightly worried that this might mean an early breakdown some time. I also bought a nikkor 10-24 which doesn't make this kind of sound.

I once had the same thing with my olympus 12-60, but then I'd also get really noticeable front focusing. I had it serviced and they replaced the focusing motor.

anyone else experiencing this? more importantly, should I send it in as soon as I can or should I just wait a couple more months to see if it gets better or worse(since I still have several months of warranty left)?

thanks.

G