Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to DSLR and Nikon D7100

Giltic

SI
274 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Giltic Registered since 11th Nov 2013
Mon 11-Nov-13 06:20 PM

Hi to all of you!
I am a new member and an owner of a brand new Nikon D7100. This is my first DSLR so I am still trying to find my way through the settings.
The main task of the camera is to shoot indoor sports. My daughter is in Hip-Hop and Street dancing so we go to a lot of competitions all over the Europe.
So, the first question I would like to ask is about the Aperture priority an Manual settings.
I usually use Manual settings when I am shooting the competitions. I set the time to 1/400 or 1/500, aperture to 2.8 or 3.2 and I use Auto ISO with exposure compensation (if needed).
But... I have found that a lot of sports shooters use Aperture priority. If I understand correctly they set minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO and then they just adjust aperture.
I don't understand why this would be better way. If the camera is in Manual mode then I can set time and aperture instantly with dials and Auto ISo worries for the right exposure. If needed I can adjust the exposure compensation.
I hop my english is good enough so you could understand, what I was trying to ask.
Thanks a lot for the answers.
Best regards.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to DSLR and Nikon D7100

G