Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrading to D7100 from D300?

CupraK1

Sheffield, UK
49 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
CupraK1 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2010
Wed 23-Oct-13 04:33 PM

I have a D700 for general photography and I have been using my D300 for bird photography that I am getting into and am enjoying. I recently purchased the Nikon 300mm f4 prime lens with 1.4 x teleconverter which I am pleased with. However, my trusty D300 just doesn't seem to handle the noise well enough, I feel. Most bird shots are taken with at least ISO 400 to get the shutter speed up and I really notice the noise when I then have to crop in Lightroom. My question is this -would I be advised to replace the D300 with the D7100 for, hopefully, improved high ISO performance and the extra 1.3x crop the this camera has? At present Nikon are giving a £100 cashback on the D7100 which is a financial incentive.
I look forward to any advice/opinions that you may have.
John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G