Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Thu 19-Sep-13 05:32 PM

OK, guys. It's getting to be decision time. Basketball season is right around the corner, as is my daughter's competitive cheer, and those are the most challenging things I shoot, as far as their demands on my technique and camera. I currently shoot those subjects with a D7000 that I've used for two seasons, and fast prime lenses.

High ISO noise is really not an issue to me. My D7000 is acceptably noise-free at ISO 3200, and usable at ISO 6400. I am pretty sure that the D7100 won't be any less noisy than my D7000. My reasons for wanting to upgrade are the new professional AF system and additional resolution for sharper crops. I'm not all that dissatisfied with the resolution of the D7000, but I really think I'd notice a difference in AF lock-on and tracking with the D7100. Also, the 1.3DX crop/7FPS interests me for outdoor field sports, like baseball (outfielders).

If I upgrade, I'll likely do a trade. I can trade my D7000, a D90 that I never use anymore, and a mint AFD 85 f1.8 (I got the new AFS version last year) for about $900+ total, based on estimates from KEH. That makes this upgrade essentially free (or a couple hundred bucks). BUT, if I don't upgrade, I can still trade in the D90 and 85 f1.8D, and put the money toward a new lens,...maybe a used AFS 300 f4, when the new VR version eventually comes out.

My question: For those of you that upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100:

1. Was it generally worth it? Do you see a marked improvement to your results?
2. Was there a higher resolution learning curve, like a lot of us had moving from the D90 to the D7000?
3. If you shoot action indoors, do you see a noticeable difference in AF performance?
4. Is there ANY difference in High ISO noise/performance.

Thanks for your input.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?

G