Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 settings for difficult lighting conditions

Seragone

Reston, US
257 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Seragone Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012
Thu 05-Sep-13 01:13 PM

Hi all, I am reading Doug Klostermann's ebook on the D7100 and recommend it as it explains why to chose certain settings rather than the user manual that explains how to make the settings.His advice is intuitive in many ways. For instance, he suggests that the shutter release button be set so that it only focuses on the subject when half pressed, allowing exposure to be taken at the time the picture is taken. But his suggestion to use buttons like fn and depth of field to take pix in difficult lighting confuses me. Instead of going over his ideas let me ask you if my approach will work MOST EFFICIENTLY to take pictures of stationary subjects in extremely dark or light settings: set the camera to spot focus, focus the dark or light subject by depressing the shutter half way, use the AE-L/AF-L button (set to exposure only/hold) to determine exposure, recompose and shoot. Doug uses other buttons to do this but I have them set to do other things. I feel my selection of buttons is intuitive given their intended purpose. What do you think?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7100 settings for difficult lighting conditions