Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000

ubiety

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ubiety Registered since 17th Jul 2013
Wed 17-Jul-13 11:01 PM

Hello,

I've been reading through these forums in hope of gaining some enlightenment on how to proceed with embarking into the realm of DSLR photography. Many years ago, I spent a fair amount of time on photography, but I have not been able to do so in recent years.

The only SLR camera I have ever owned is a Nikon F3, which I still have, but which I prefer not to use due to the inconvenience of using film. I own a point and shoot digital camera, but I've recently decided to return to photography as a hobby, and this camera is insufficient for that purpose.

As a Nikon user, who has some old lenses (which hopefully I can still use), I thought I would stay with Nikon as I moved into digital photography. My biggest problem with getting into digital photography is that I am on a limited budget. This will affect what equipment I am able to buy now and for the foreseeable future.

Initially, I considered buying an inexpensive DSLR just to get started, but I realized that I would outgrow such a camera too quickly, making it a bad and frustrating investment. So, after a considerable amount of reading, I have begun to think that I would do well to buy a D7000 with an all-purpose lens to be used for learning.

I am aware that there are advantages to going with a D7100 or even a D600 (for those with a larger budget), but I keep coming back to the D7000 as a better value for someone just starting out.

I would like to get some feedback and advice from more experienced photographers on my plan. Right now, Amazon has a bundle which seems like a good starting point for me, at an acceptable price. It consists of a Nikon D7000 DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Kit with 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR II ED Nikkor Lens; included is a 16GB SD card and two Nikon instructional DVDs (a huge selling point if you don't know what you're doing!).

I have also considered the kit with the 18-105mm lens, but it does not appear to be as good of a deal (money-wise) as the 18-200mm kit. From what I've read, people either love or hate the 18-200mm lens. This lens seems slow and not particularly useful at either end, but it might be good for practicing, as well as for vacationing or hiking excursions.

I can't afford to buy the D600 or the lenses which it uses, so I have ruled it out. I have considered the D7100, but don't see it as enough of an improvement to warrant the extra expenditure over the D7000. Perhaps I would be better off saving some money up-front by buying the D7000 18-200mm kit and investing in better lenses when my budget allows.

Also, I have several old lenses lying around. The one I would like to use most is the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens, which came with my F3. I imagine it would be sharper than the 18-200mm, although I'm not sure how old lenses compare to new ones. Will this lens work with the D7000? If so, will I run into any limitations when using it?

Any opinions on my reasoning and options would be greatly appreciated.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000

G