Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000

docimmer

Eau Claire, US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
docimmer Registered since 29th Jul 2004
Sun 05-Dec-10 10:17 PM

I've had my D7000 for a couple of weeks now, and something strange has going on with it since I first started using it. I can't tell has to do with the settings I'm using, or if there is a problem with the camera. I've used a D70, D70s and a D80 over the years, so I'm pretty familiar with these cameras.

The problem is that I'll be shooting images, and everything is autofocusing fine, and suddenly the camera stops autofocusing - the AF-S disappears from the display, and it allows me to take an out of focus photo, no beep. I have the camera set on AF-S, Shutter priority, using the viewfinder (not Live View) and I have the autofocus priority menu setting on "focus", not "release".

I have not been able to create a reproducible situation to purposely recreate the problem. It does not seem to be happening because the flash is charging (in that instance, the AF-S remains on the display, but it just won't let me take a photo). It does seem (possibly) to occur right after I zoom in on my subject with my Nikkor 18-135 DX lens.

I've attached an image of my camera which shows the display on the top of the camera both during and after this problem occurs. As you can see, when this is happening the AF-S is gone, and the focusing array shows only one focus point.

The inability to focus seems to resolve itself in about six seconds if I hit the right buttons - but I have not been able to define exactly what those buttons are - it seems to randomly start working again. When I took these photos I didn't touch any buttons so I could take these photos with another camera- the AF-S remained off the display for many minutes. All it took was a 1/2 click of the shutter release to get the display to revert to normal this time.

So far, I have not been able to make this happen if the camera is on Auto or one of the Scene modes - but I usually shoot in Shutter Priority so this is a big problem. I've missed a number of shots because this basically makes the camera unusable until the autofocusing starts again.

Anybody have any insights for me? The autofocus system on this camera is a bit more complicated than the D80 - so I may be missing something. The images, when it works properly, are amazingly sharp.

Thanks.

Steve

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000
                                                  Reply message RE: Autofocus issues
Reply message RE: CONTACT(s)!

G