Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Unexpected card behavior on D7000

kentak

US
952 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010
Sat 29-Jun-13 02:40 AM

I never noticed this before.

If you choose to use the RAW to card 1/JPEG to card 2 option, but shoot RAW only, the RAW is recorded to both cards--just as if you had chosen the backup option.

I would have expected the camera to write the RAW file to only card 1 and leave card 2 alone.

Why does it write to both? Not a big deal, but does that mean more time is used to write data to both cards than if writing to only card 1?

I never noticed this before because previously I almost always chose the "overflow" option and also almost always shot RAW plus Jpeg. As expected, the camera wrote both formats to card 1. (I almost never fill up card 1 before being able to download and clear the card).

For those times when I did choose RAW to card 1/JPEG to card 2, the behavior was as expected--each card received the specified format.

I recently made a decision to shoot RAW only unless I had a specific reason to also shoot JPEG. And then I noticed I was getting RAW recorded to both cards even though I had still left the card option to 1/RAW, 2/JPEG.

Strange.

Kent

G