Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Review of the Meike multi-powe pack for the Nikon D7100

nedo_hb

IL
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nedo_hb Registered since 24th Apr 2013
Thu 06-Jun-13 01:48 PM

Hello guys

First of all I would like to state that this is my first review of a Dslr accessory and I hope it will help you guys.
I am a new happy owner of the D7100, love it so far but always felt the need for a better ergonomics for Nikon non-pro Dslrs because of my big hands, so I thought about ordering a battery grip for my D7100, my soul purpose was the extra feel of the grip and not the extra power.
Since Nikon decided that ridiculous price for the MB D15, it costs almost 350$ where I live, I decided to try a 3rd party BG.

I ordered the Meike brand from a top rated eBay seller from Honk Kong, Delivery took about 9 days, in my case its considered pretty fast , price around 55 $ with shipping.
When package arrived, At first glance the Box was slightly bended because of the shipping but once opened you can see clearly nothing was damaged and the whole contents were wrapped in bubble bags.
Inside I found the battery grip with warranty papers and instructions, with the En EL 15 battery tray and the 6 AA tray.
At first look and feel, I was surprised of the quality, it feels solid and well made, and it feels good heavy when holding it, well made plastic.

Once installed, it looks as a continuum of the body, the texture feels very similar, it has the same splash pattern of the body, the rubber feel of the BG feels awesome, and it looks clean.

The shutter button doesn’t feel the same as the original one , Reminds me of my old D5100 shutter button, the Dials feel very good when rotated and they aren’t reversed, I was actually more pleased with the feel of the dials than the shutter button, they give the same feeling to the main ones in the body, the small AE/AF button is placed where the thumb resides and its pretty easy to hold it, the feel is also nice.

The joystick is very sensitive, smaller than the one on the body, gives a different kind of control , but overall is okey.
The wheel have a slight rocking but if I’m busy focusing, checking exposure or choosing shutter speed I won’t notice the rocking, maybe later on I’ll try to lock something on the edge, also there is a small space for the rubber cover on the BG.

I played with the grip for few hours just checking out the feel and the buttons, all work fine for now, I must state that I love the extra feel of the grip, definitely it adds more stability to the camera.
I don’t have an extra En EL15 so I can’t tell if there is a battery drain issue but I did try the 6 AA battery tray and it worked fine without EnEl15 in the body.

Overall, for now I’m very pleased with my purchase for, saving a huge chunk of money for my dream 70-200 2.8 as I don’t need the extra power or the magnesium alloy construction of the Nikon MB D15 or the weather sealing privilege.
Notes :
1. The small green button on the side of the tray that opens it, feels weak, my advice to open it carefully because it might just break.

2. I don’t have a tripod either, so I can’t state regarding the flex or the stability once mounted on the tripod and I don’t have a large lens either, I have the kit lens 18-105mm and I didn’t feel a flex, I didn’t see a light either between the BG and the undersurface of the body.

3. I didn’t notice any random flashing green info light but as I’ve mentioned I don’t have an extra battery in the grip.

I hope that my first impression of the Meike multi-power pack for the D7100 helped you guys, I know that most of you here are pro or semi-pro but I thought that my review would help the enthusiast photographer on a low budget out there.
I will try to add my observation after a month of usage.

Sorry I couldn’t figure out how to add pictures for the BG in here but I’ve uploaded them to my gallery, feel free to check them out.

Thank you.
Nadeem - enthusiast photographer.

G