Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Whose usb port is it anyway

mike70

Terrace Park, US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mike70 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2007
Thu 30-May-13 04:12 PM | edited Sat 01-Jun-13 12:54 AM by dm1dave

I got my d7100. I checked to see if the tethering cable that I use with my d200 would work on the d7100. Too big. Seemed unlikely that there would be no uniformity between cameras from the same maker. I called B&H. I'm a B&H customer. They always seem to be able to answer questions. I said I need a cable to tether my d7100 to my powerbook. They said let me check. A little while later they came back and said sorry, that's a Nikon proprietary port you'll have to call them. I called my regional nikon support. They said, no problem, that's a standard port, you should be able to get it at any camera store or best buy. I live in a town without camera stores. I went to best buy with the usb cable that came with the camera. Their camera "expert" looked at it and said, never saw one that small. It must be proprietary to nikon. I called B&H back. They said let me check. Came back and said I just read the specs. It's a mini usb. He sold me a cable with a ferrite core that was a mere $37.00. Got the cable. It would probably have fit the d200. No where near fitting the d7100. I called them back and returned the cable. Talked to a sales manager. He said you need a usb extension. Just plug the nikon cable into it and your problem will be solved. Never addressed the real problem. Why won't anything fit with the supplied usb port. B&H had no clue. Nikon support was in the dark. Best Buy was mystified. And I'm thinking that if I didn't have so much Nikon gear I'd be looking at Cannon.
Anybody else have that problem.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Whose usb port is it anyway
Reply message It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100...
Reply message RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the ...

G