Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DOF / Hyperfocal questions for D7100

Devrishi

Kanpur, IN
94 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Devrishi Registered since 23rd Apr 2013
Tue 21-May-13 07:44 AM | edited Tue 21-May-13 07:56 AM by Devrishi

Hello,

I have D7100 & Nikkor 16-85mm Lens. I am trying to understand DOF / Hyperfocal distance and have few questions to ask.. kindly answer my questions:

1. On DOF Calculator, we do not have D7100 (Sensor) for reference, which camera (sensor) should i consider for DOF / Hyperfocal distance calculation?
2. What is the COC of D7100?

Now suppose i am shooting a Landscape in Camera 'Manual' mode & consider the following in the DOF Calculator..

a. Camera D7000 for reference.
b. Focal Length - 16mm
c. Selected f-stop - f/16
d. Subject at 20'

The hyperfocal distance from DOF Calculator comes to 2.68'. This means that i should lock the focus at 2.68' - frame the landscape & shoot. The best distance that i can measure is camera facing the ground level at a height of 2.68' or around 32". So i put the lens on A/M mode - half shutter - autofocus the ground - release shutter - Switch to M mode on Lens - adjust the lens focus ring so that the hyperfocal distance is approx 2.68' - frame my landscape & shoot. In this case my depth of field will be 2.68'/2=1.34' to infinity.

Now two questions:

3. Is the above process / description correct?
4. When i focus on the ground at hyperfocal distance of 2.68', where should be my auto focus point? In the final landscape frame just before shooting, should i move the auto-focus point on the subject and shoot? OR once focused at hyperfocal distance of 2.68', the final Landscape frame becomes independent of the location of Auto-focus point as everything from 1.34' to infinity will be in focus?

Thanks for your replies...

Best regards

Sandeep Prakash Srivastava

Visit my website: www.myincredibleimages.com.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DOF / Hyperfocal questions for D7100