Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds

SteveInReno

Reno, US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013
Mon 20-May-13 12:28 AM

Hi, all! Got a general "Whatcha think?" question about a memory card issue I saw just this afternoon.

So, I'm out shooting, warm outside, camera never sitting in the direct sunlight, cards (main and backup, slot B acting as backup for slot A), and suddenly I start getting a flashing "err" on the display. Now, I just installed the second 32G flash last night, reformatted it after installing it; never a single issue with the other camera it was in (D90). Removed that second card, continued shooting.

Fast forward to home: after dumping cards to LR, I popped Slot A, dropped in the "bad" card, reformatted, and it looked fine. But this was when I saw something that made me want to post here...

Slot A card (original): SanDisk Extreme 32G Class 10 card (30MB/s)
Slot B card (new-ish): Sony 32G Class 10 card (94mb/s)

The SanDisk shows cap for 899 shots, the Sony 913 shots.

Given the speed differences of the card, could this have been a cause for an issue? Maybe some sort of timeout or checksum internally? I had the slower card in Slot A and the faster in Slot B, so I'd assumed that wouldn't be an issue. Maybe swap the two around so the primary card is the faster of the two? Haven't really read anything about speed differences being an issue in the D7000, but who knows. Just wondering what you guys thought...

Thanks for your thoughts!
Steve

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds

G