Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

better low light performance

dcs85

US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dcs85 Registered since 08th Feb 2012
Sat 27-Apr-13 10:35 AM

I have searched several ways and can’t seem to find an answer to this.
What I am looking for is better low light performance. I currently have a D3100 and have been planning on purchasing a faster long lens like a 300mm f4 and eventually a fast wide angle lens. I have found that pushing the iso to 800 or above on the D3100 usually provides less than satisfactory photos. Rarely do I push it above 400.

I have been told that I am better off putting money into better glass rather than a better body. But with the refurbished D7000 selling in the mid to low $700.00 range I think that may be a better option.
The better high iso performance would be helpful with my current lenses and allow more options down the road with some of the older Nikon lenses that will not autofocus with the D3100.
I am an amateur but trying learn and improve. I enjoy photographing my kids sports, wildlife, and general family stuff.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: better low light performance

G