Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 dynamic AF question

Toby01

El Sobrante, US
278 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012
Thu 28-Mar-13 05:47 PM

Until recently, I seldom photographed moving subjects, but I am doing a lot more of that now and have some questions about how dynamic focusing works (this isn't specific to the D7100, but that's the camera I'm using now, so this seemed the right place to ask the question). I think I have a handle on the 3D tracking mode, but in the AF-9 or AF-21 point selections, I think the camera first focuses on the point I have selected and then uses the surrounding points to assist as necessary. My question involves what happens when the subject moves away from that area of the focus screen, either thru their motion or from my reframing of the shot. In these modes, does the camera continue to focus on whatever falls under the original focus area, or does it try to follow my original target? What method do you use when you are trying to follow a target moving across the frame? Thanks for your insights.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7100 dynamic AF question

G