Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live view with smz800 microscope

pittendrigh

Bozeman, US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pittendrigh Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2011
Sun 03-Mar-13 01:56 AM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 02:07 AM by pittendrigh

I have a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon SMZ800 microscope with "trinocular head," so I can shoot photos through the microscope.

Focusing through the range finder is possible but difficult.

Live view on the camera's LCD screen is a better way to focus, at least when it works. In live view I an examine the lcd screen with a hand held magnifier while manually focusing the microscope, slowly and accurately.

However, the live view only shows a well-illuminated image for 3-5 seconds, and then dims significantly. When the live view dims I can still see the image, but not well enough to focus.

Setting or re-setting the display brightness does not seem to help. I have never seen this LCD screen dimming happen when connected to a camera lens. Only when connected to the microscope.

I can struggle on with the range finder. But the LCD screen is essentially useless. Unless there is a way to fix this.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G