Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Glad I got the Nikon MB-D11 Grip

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4179 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Tue 27-Nov-12 10:40 PM

I had been doing some time lapse sequences on my trip this year to the Glen Canyon and I had it set up down by the river during the afternoon as the clouds were spectacular. A whirlwind whipped through and tilted over my camera. The rocks took out the lens hood, broke the filter ring and the focus ring is now locked up at infinity. There's a chip in the glass, too. I had it taking a shot every 10 seconds and after about 30 minutes I noticed the tripod was no longer standing. I'm so glad that the camera did not fall into the river. Later I realized my battery in the grip was not being utilized. but the shutter and AE AF buttons worked correctly. I thought the grip was a casualty now as well.

Since it's out of warranty I decided to do some open heart surgery and see what I could find. After some poking around and testing I saw that the two contacts on either side of the connector were not getting pushed in all the way when the grip was attached even though I had it tightened down all the way. I saw then that the plate where the locking wheel drives the screw into the camera body tripod socket had been bent during the fall. I took it apart and flattened it back out, reassembled and now it works as good as new.

I'm sure if I had the plastic version something would have snapped from the force of the fall but with the metal version I was able to do some quick repair work and get back to shooting.

I know it is not quite as stable with the grip attached when on a tripod but I needed the extra battery capacity for some of the long night shot sequences.

Here is the time lapse movie from the incident.
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=426&topic_id=156&mesg_id=156&page=

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

G