Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 for sports shooting

weavermt

Glendale, US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
weavermt Registered since 31st Aug 2011
Tue 30-Oct-12 10:28 PM

Hello,

I currently shoot a D200, and photograph horse shows on a part-time, paid basis. My D200 is currently in the shop (black frames on startup/resume shooting after a break) and am contemplating a jump to a newer camera if the repair is too expensive.

I am thinking about a D7000, but have some concerns. The photographer I shoot for has me shoot RAW (which I would do anyway), and sometimes RAW+ if the images need to by uploaded during a long-weekend's show.

My D200 has a 21 image RAW buffer, and slightly less than that RAW+. While I don't do it often as I did when I was starting out, I will hit fill the buffer when doing cutting horse events....probably 2-4x during a day's shoot, esp if the horse/rider are good and the cows running well.

The write-speed on the D200 buffer is fairly slow, so I am wondering how the D7000's 10-image buffer for RAW images compares to the D200 in terms of "clearing out" the buffer.

Essentially...does the D7000's buffer write significantly faster that it's better than...or a wash with...the D200's buffer write-speed (e.g. D200 buffer 2x as large, but half as fast = D7000 buffer that is 2x as fast?)

Cutting horse and many rodeo roping events can easily fill my D200's buffer....barrel racing and other horse events will not. But I am trying to plan for the "what I normally shoot" scenario.

I can't see making the incremental jump from my D200 to a D300/300s, and I can't afford a new FF anything like a D600.

I've contemplated a used D700, as the FPS is the same as my D200, or faster with the grip + el14 battery...but it's also 50% more expensive, at least, than a new D7000, and I've not had the best of luck with used camera equipment (My D200 is only at 59k shutter actuations, and I got it at 14k).

Thanks,
TimW
Phoenix

TimW
Phoenix

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 for sports shooting