Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need advice on focus

burchan

Sydney, AU
368 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012
Thu 18-Oct-12 12:00 AM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 12:05 AM by burchan

Last April I had my D7000 camera serviced at Nikon because I was not confident with reliable focus. It was much better and under normal use camera performed well but sometime I do have feeling that I need to put glasses on when viewing the photos. This time I had the oportunity to take some wildlife photos using my 18-200mm lens tripod and VR off. Large number of pictures are not in focus and I could not find the reason. In all the situations image is sharp in viewfinder but smudged after being taken. When using manual focusing image will be sharp if adjusted well enough. In the samples the first image was sharp. In the second image I moved closer and the birds had the sky as background. Of some 20 photos taken all were smudged. With manual focus I got better result. In the last sample I changed to single focus point but focus was out again. In all the images the result was the same so the problem is not camera movement. In other experiments photos taken at lens adjustment +10 gave good result some of the time but when focal lenght was changed I could not get good focus at all. From all the samples I could not find correlation what is best or worst setting or even that I have problem at all. All I know is that in D80 using the same lens I have constant good result but I still prefere the images from D7000. If the image is sharp in viewfinder then it should be equaly sharp when taken provided camera did not move. Should I visit Nikon service centre again? I just dont feel focus system is working right. Note: All are 100% crop

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID