Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering with Lens Filter Oddity

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Thu 04-Oct-12 02:21 AM | edited Thu 04-Oct-12 02:22 AM by Bravozulu

A few minutes after taking the image of the white, '58 Corvette, a white '56 Thunderbird pulled in about 40 feet away. About that time, I installed the polarizing filter on my 16-85mm lens and shot some pictures of the T-Bird.

They were so bad, I discarded them. I wondered about the difference and did some research. Thom Hogan's book on the D7000 explains that the metering should be changed to Spot. Because shooting with Matrix confuses the computer. It tries to compare the current view with the 30,000 image database, but the filter mixes up reading.

Matrix metering shifted the Histogram off to the left. And car looked dull compared to the same color Corvette.

It was my first use of a polarizer and never anticipated the complication.

Just an FYI for you folks. I would appreciate more info on this matter, and decided more would see it here on the D7000 forum than in the Filter forum.

Here's the Corvette -

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering with Lens Filter Oddity

G