Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Exposure questions and file size question

jmiguez

Lafayette, US
534 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010
Fri 19-Nov-10 09:41 PM

In south Louisiana it is sugarcane harvesting time. While driving I noticed some harvesting off the road and stopped. I took out the D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens mounted, then proceeded to shoot eighty something pictures of the process.

I just got through reviewing the pictures and noticed that some images were light and some darker. After reviewing the camera data of the RAW (14 bit)files I have a couple questions.

I was shooting in Aperture Priority with the lens set at F8. Focus was set to AF-A, Auto, Matrix and AF Fine tune OFF. ISO was set to 3200 (From last night and I forgot to change it).

All of the shots were similar, in that it was an overcast day and I was following the progress of the combine and loading tractor as they slowly crossed in front of me. The shutter speed changes, which I would expect. However, it is the EV which puzzles me. It is all over the place. It varies from 0 to -2.0EV, which I assume explains the dark and light shots. My question is why? Why would the EV change? I thought the camera just changes the shutter speed? The shutter speed did go all the way to 1/8000 with a low of 1/2500. However, some of the -2.0 EV shots were at the lower range. I would have thought that at 1/8000 the EV would be in the negative range if the light was too bright? Yet, some of the 1/8000 and -2.0 EV shots are the darker ones? wouldn't they be lighter?

My other question is the file size. It ranges from 20.6 MB to 24 MB. Why does this change?

I can see I have a lot to learn with this camera.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Exposure questions and file size question

G