Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An interesting shoot...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 21-Sep-12 12:53 PM

So, 2 weeks ago, I was approached by a long time friend to do a photoshoot for her and some friends. She knew I had just leased a large studio and was eager to try out this idea. Essentially, I was to shoot a group of people who were attending a costume party in vintage/steampunk gear. I did a little research, got a feel for how I wanted to approach it, and set up the studio.

I had two cameras in my bag, the D7000 and the D800. I decided to shoot most of the shots on the D7000/70-200 combo, and shoot the tights and detail work with the D800.

The shoot went quite well, and the post processing came off nicely. I posted a few samples on Facebook, and everyone LOVED them. I decided to print one of the better shots for the client and sent it off to my favorite lab. I printed an 8x12 mounted on 3/4" standout, and a 16x24 loose print.

The prints arrived last night. I'd not printed anything that large from the D7000, and I had done a small crop of the image so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I pulled out the two images from the box, I sat there mouth open. The prints look STUNNING. Easily the best prints I've ever done. I'll be delivering them today. I'll let the client select the one she wants and I will keep the other.

So why bring this up? The thought hit me today that everyone has been clamoring for the greener pastures of full frame. Everyone is talking about moving up from this or that DX camera to the D800, or D600, or even a used D700. I sat there staring at my prints last night thinking to myself, what a fools errand that is. I could have EASILY produced a 20x30 from that cropped images off my DX sensor D7000 and would have been proud to hang it in my home or a commercial gallery. One of them WILL be hung in my home.

So for those of you "stuck" on the paltry DX sensor D7000, I say you needn't worry. It's one HELL of a camera, and for now, my studio camera of choice. I've done my last two studio shoots on it instead of the D800 just to see what it would give me, and I am VERY pleased with my results.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: An interesting shoot...

G