Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do you use Active D Lighting normally?

underdog01

Helena, US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
underdog01 Registered since 08th Aug 2012
Tue 18-Sep-12 02:33 AM

I ask this because this weekend I was taking shots of my Granddaughter and had Active D Lighting off. Darrell Young in his book, "Mastering the Nikon D7000", speaks of 'D' lighting in an almost derogatory sense. To be fair, upon rereading pages 96-97 ,Mr. Young does instruct to experiment.
So in experimenting with 'D' off I found I have pictures blow out from time to time. I was using Aperture Priority and figured the camera would increase shutter speed if necessary. Obviously, it didn't. I have always used 'D' lighting with my 5100 and have never had this problem. Just wondering if this was a normal occurrence? I chalk this up to user error, however, what should I be watching for? In manual I would watch the meter, but I figure the camera would meter correctly in aperture and adjust accordingly.
Sorry for my inexperience, but without chimping and checking the histogram after every shot, how does one know if the image is over or underexposed while in aperture or shutter priority? Am I wrong to assume that aperture and shutter priority are point and shoot modes once DOF and shutter speeds are determined by user?

Oh yeah, one last thing, the camera was set to matrix metering. Thanks for your replies. Once again, I apologize for my inexperience.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do you use Active D Lighting normally?

G