Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ready to move up from 5100

underdog01

Helena, US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
underdog01 Registered since 08th Aug 2012
Mon 03-Sep-12 04:56 PM

I have had the 5100 for a year now and love it. It has been a great first camera. However I'm ready to move to the next level. I have purchased a sb800, Nikkor 70-200 2.8, and Tamron 24-70 2.8. I'm going to sell my 5100 with bag and kit lenses and use this money to help upgrade for a body only camera. My question is, do I move to the 7000 or take the next step above that? What is the next step after 7000? Obviously, I want to stay with Nikon with the flash and lenses. The reason I feel the need to upgrade are as follows: I need more focus points, I never thought it would be a huge deal but now I'm finding recomposing is my only option but not necessarily the best option. Less noise at higher ISO would also benefit me greatly. I'm an amateur but am moving more toward professional all the time. I have shot a Prom (Christian school, they were looking for somebody willing to do it for free that had equipment better than a cell phone) and have been asked to do it again this year. I have also done portraits for family members and friends. I'm not ready to quit my day job or anything, but am getting more serious into the hobby. I have not found a niche yet as far as landscapes or aviation or architecture. So I need a good walking around jack of all trades camera. My budget will be less than $2,000.

I hope I have been able to give enough detail of what I'm looking for. As far as DX vs. FX I will consider either, my lenses should work well with both.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ready to move up from 5100