Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto Exposure/ISO Design Criteria?

billross

Liverpool, CA
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
billross Registered since 26th Dec 2011
Wed 02-May-12 02:32 PM

I'm curious as to whether anyone can explain what the design criteria is behind the auto setting of exposure by the D7000. For example, I have "ISO sensitivity Settings" set to On with a max of 3200 and a min speed of 1/40. This morning taking a shot with a 50mm 1.8 with a mildly cloudy sky, the camera sets a shutter speed of 1/500 at an ISO of 1600. If I had done this by hand the ISO would have been 400, maybe 200 and (without doing a hasty calculation here) the speed would have ben closer to 1/60 or whatever. With my settings (which I have saved as U1) I consistently get a "high" ISO, a fairly high shutter speed and a mid-range aperture. And overall, pretty decent results.

Are there any menu settings that I can change to force the camera into a lower ISO and retain the auto aspect of it for these grab shots. That is, still maintaing the max high ISO and min low speed in the sensitivity setting? Or am I just going to have to go with my natural inclination and pay attention to ISO, shutter speed and aperture just like I have over the years and manually adjust as necessary? BTW the pictures don't really suffer too much as I do get nice, sharp results which is a testament to the capabilities of the camera versus the good old days of 400 speed film and whatnot. The only real issue is that if I want to enlarge I can run into a grain situation if I go a bit too extreme for what the camera gave me. Obviously, if the camera had used ISO 200, etc. I might have a bit more room to work in this respect.

Any road, any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto Exposure/ISO Design Criteria?

G