Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Has the D7000 AF System Improved

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 02-Mar-12 04:43 AM | edited Fri 02-Mar-12 05:21 AM by agitater

I personally needed several months to get fully comfortable with and fully accustomed to what I consider to be the more exacting technique required to get the AF performance out of my D7000 (purchased in early October 2010). Even the November 2010 DPReview review of the D7000 rated its metering and AF accuracy only good (as opposed to very good or excellent). ADDED - although the DPR review text praised AF accuracy and speed, in TTL and off the sensor in Live View mode) less impressive low light AF performance coupled with DPR's criticism of overexposure in high contrast lighting seem to have pulled down the metering & AF score.

Recently, Chris Platt has posted some shots on this forum made with his D7000 illustrating pinpoint AF accuracy.

I've worked far harder than I've had to with any other camera in order to extract accurate AF out of my D7000.

My question is, do you think that Nikon has quietly tweaked/improved the default AF and metering performance of the D7000 for more recent manufacturing runs? ADDED - I'm not quacking about the usual general improvement in technique most shooters go through with a new, higher resolution camera. Rather, I'm asking about a silent/unannounced improvement to the camera by Nikon at the factory level.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Has the D7000 AF System Improved