Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Viewfinder Versus Live View With Tripod and D7000

J_Harris

US
781 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
J_Harris Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his contribution to the Nikonians Articles section Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011
Thu 16-Feb-12 11:41 PM | edited Fri 17-Feb-12 12:17 PM by J_Harris

I don't know if this question belongs here or the tripod forum, but I'll start here because there is a lot more activity.

I am now satisfied enough with my hand holding techniques, so it's time to get more adventurous. Recently I bought a kirk BH-1 ballhead/Manfrotto 055XB tripod combination and tomorrow I will use it for the first time with my D7000. I'll be using the Nikon wireless remote and mirror-up method with VR turned off for landscape photos.

From what I understand when using the viewfinder method I must frame the shot, use manual focus (so it doesn't refocus when the shutter is actuated), and then put the viewfinder cover on before each picture is taken.

I like the viewfinder method, but having to put the viewfinder cover on before, and then removing it to reframe for each shot seems like a real hassle and could possibly disrupt the framing. Is there a better/easier way? Is using the viewfinder cover really that important?

Using live view so the viewfinder cover can remain installed for the entire shoot seems easier, but is it the best way? How did photographers do it before there were live view monitors?

Any help, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Viewfinder Versus Live View With Tripod and D7000