Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is my AF working correctly?

browntdb

Corvallis, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
browntdb Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Sat 11-Feb-12 06:23 PM | edited Sat 11-Feb-12 06:24 PM by browntdb

I have used my D7000 mostly in AF-A and spot metering. I was reading Mastering the D7000 and after reading about AF-C and using more focus points, I am not sure my camera is working correctly. Here is the situation:

If I set the camera to AF-C and 3D or Auto Area AF, if something moves across my viewfinder, the focus points try to track the object as one would expect. When I change from 3D or Auto Area AF to Dynamic Area, 39, 21, or 9 focus points, the focus sensor stays in the center of the viewfinder and does not move if a moving object moves across the viewfinder. I am using Focus priority instead of release priority and I have the shutter half way down and the image in focus prior to movement.

Is my D7000 behaving normally? I had assumed that in AF-C mode that regardless of AF setting other than single point, the focus points would move to track the moving object in the viewfinder, and not just in Auto Area or 3D tracking.

I would appreciate any insights from experienced D7000 users who use these modes.

Thanks,

Terry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G