Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

If you've been told D7000 focus issues are a myth...

output555

US
339 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008
Thu 09-Feb-12 02:19 AM | edited Thu 09-Feb-12 02:28 AM by output555

So I bought one of the very first D7000s last year. I'd already owned a D40, D60, D90, D300 and D700 (still have it) and had high expectations for the newest Nikon DSLR. Unfortunately, the D7000 gave me heartburn from the very first set of photos. Rather than being 16MP sharp, I got far too many slightly out-of-focus images much too often.

I checked the forums and many experts said the problem was with the user, not the camera. Although I've been shooting for 40 years, I was willing to humble myself and admit, maybe I just didn't understand the new focusing system of the D7000 (although it really isn't much different than any other camera's system).

I struggled with the D7000 for months, finding way too many blurry images that simply couldn't be due to my incompetence. It wasn't the lenses' fault either because they were excellent on every other Nikon. And, please don't tell me those extra 4MP of resolution revealed their flaws. Nonsense.

Eventually I just stopped using the D7000. It was too frustrating not knowing if I was going to get a crisp image or something slightly blurry and, therefore, totally useless. The D7000 sat in my camera bag collecting dust. I felt like I'd wasted $1300.

Then I decided, to hell with the so-called experts, I'm going to let Nikon tell me I'm nuts. I sent the body to the Melviile, NY service center explaining the problem. In less than two weeks the camera came back...and, wait for it...the problem was gone. Every image produced subsequently was razor sharp and in crispy clear focus. Same user, same lenses, nothing had changed except the camera's internal adjustments. A simple repair and all was good.

So, if you're experiencing focusing issues and everyone on Nikonians or at your local camera shop is telling you it's all in your head (re: lack of brains or mental disorder), tell them they're the delusional ones. Most likely the problem is in the D7000 and should be (and CAN be) fixed ASAP.

--------------

As a final note, even though the now-repaired D7000 was 100% satisfactory, I decided the love was gone (hard to overcome a lack of trust, you know) and sold it. Still needing a back-up for my D700, I bought a D5100 on sale at Christmas and fell instantly in love. It's not as sophisticated as the D7000, but out-of-the box it gave me nothing but amazing images--and complete trust.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: If you've been told D7000 focus issues are a myth.....

G