Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D7000 Newbie Needs Advice

johnnycrystal

US
105 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johnnycrystal Registered since 16th Jan 2012
Wed 25-Jan-12 08:11 PM

Hello, everyone.

I bought my first DSLR camera, a Nikon D7000, at the end of last November. For the past several weeks I have been familiarizing myself with the features of the D7000. I have also been reading up on the fundamentals of photography and have taken hundreds of photos, putting my newly acquired knowledge of the camera and photography into practice.

My previous experience has been mostly with video. I am a retired high school principal with four grandchildren. I now want to be able to take excellent photos of my grandchildren at play (action) and at rest (portraits) and even landscapes.

I have read that the majority of DSLR users prefer to shoot in RAW. I also understand that a RAW converter is needed to process those photos. So, I have been researching RAW conversion / editing software. I have focused on Lightroom 3, and am presently navigating the 30-day trial version.

I am juggling quite a few initiatives and am having a ball with all of it! I would greatly appreciate some guidance and advice from those of you who have the most experience with the D7000.

Should I shoot in RAW, or shoot both RAW and JPEGS?

What has been your experience with Lightroom 3? I don’t want to live at the computer processing photos, but I do want to have the opportunity to facilitate fine-tuning.

Will I also need photo-editing software to be a companion with a RAW converter? I currently have Adobe PhotoShop Elements 7. My goal is to take and print (8x10 and higher) quality photos that far exceed point-and-click photos.

My primary reason for joining the Nikonians is to become competent in using my D7000 by learning from those who have “been around the block.”

Thank you for your responses. I am looking forward to my learning curve and to making new friends in the process.

David

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Newbie Needs Advice