Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What went wrong with my D7000 while shooting video?

urgetodrive

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
urgetodrive Registered since 08th Jan 2012
Sun 08-Jan-12 10:22 PM | edited Sun 08-Jan-12 11:12 PM by urgetodrive

I've had my D7000 a couple months now and taken 3-4000 shots. Recently I started using it to take some video and all was well until today.

While shooting a video, it literally just 'froze' and refused to do anything. Switching it off...no effect. I popped the battery for a few seconds and the camera started up again. I noticed the "ERR" flashing on top display after switching the camera back on. I'd click the shutter release button a time or two and "ERR" would disappear.

However, each time I tried to resume shooting the video, same thing would occur (i.e., the green "Info" light would go nuts and then everything would freeze). I must have popped the battery 3 times. In the middle of all of this, there were 3 or 4 segments where I could shoot 5-10 seconds of video before it would stop recording (but not freeze).

Finally, I gave up with the video and tried shooting stills. The shutter would release and I would get an image preview on the LCD however, after importing the files to my computer - none of said stills were on the card. In addition, many of the video segments were of an "unknown format" - no doubt corrupted by whatever was going on and/or the yanking of the battery.

Some additional items:
- Shot video 30 minutes earlier without any issues whatsoever. To the best of my knowledge, no setting changes were made.
- Camera was in P mode.
- Battery was about 31% charged.
- Nikkor 18-200mm VRII lens.
- Sunny and about 80dF outside in a beach setting.
- Camera is set to AF on Faces in Movie-mode. However, it was having a heck of time focusing at all (the little yellow boxes rarely were showing up). There was a large crowd and the main subject was a sea turtle (lol).
- I was manually zooming the lens in/out.
- I have 2 identical 16GB Class 10 memory cards inserted and configured to be duplicates. The cards had maybe 30 stills and 1-2 mins worth of video - so basically empty.

What happened? Card failure? Camera failure? Battery issue? User failure?

Many thanks in advance!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What went wrong with my D7000 while shooting video?

G