Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

If not Lubricant…then what?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
elec164

US
2599 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Wed 21-Dec-11 05:44 PM | edited Wed 21-Dec-11 05:48 PM by elec164

I did not think it proper to continue this discussion and hijack someone else’s thread, even though it appears to be the same issue and a relevant discussion. So I started my own thread.

There have been a number of users whom have complained about the D7000 sensor being a dirt magnet compared to their other cameras. Some of us seem to be experiencing a similar accumulation on the side of the sensor showing on the right side of images. I don’t know how many units have been produced in the approximately year and a half of production, but assume it could easily be in the hundreds of thousands. There have been about 12 or so Nikonians who have admitted to having this issue, and if you searched the web you may find a hundred more. There are also people I imagine that have just chalked it up to life in the digital world and just don’t mention it. So even if the number were to reach 1000, it would be a small representation of the total production.

Some mention lens changing technique, others lens pump from zooms. Fair enough, but I used the same lenses on my D80 in the same manner and technique for three years without feeling the need to clean my sensor once. Yeah there was dust, but it only showed up with small apertures and was easily dealt with. My D7000 on the other hand is not so lucky. After just 6 months I felt compelled to clean the sensor. And now about 6 months after that cleaning, I feel compelled again.
This is a shot 6 months in:

Click on image to view larger version

And this is about 6 months later

It’s not that I’m obsessive about this (3 years of use and not cleaning the D80 should testify to that) but the spots are problematic even with normal f-stops. For example this shot was recently taken at F/8, and several of the larger spots are clearly visible in the sky.

I had to clone out every shot taken in portrait orientations that included sky (or any even-toned area even in landscape shots). Normally wider apertures or images with detail in the area mask the spots, but they are becoming annoying.

Some attribute the difference to the higher pixel density, fair enough. The larger spots average about 15 to 20 pixels with some as large as 30, and at about 4.7 microns per pixel that is about 70 to 141 microns in size. That I would think put it significantly larger than most dust particulate size, but within the realm of possibility for large specks. But that still does not explain why a concentration of particles on one side with virtually nothing on the rest of the sensor. And being that the particulate size that is more problematic is larger than my D80’s 6 micron pixel, I can’t see the pixel density being that much of a factor.

In this example of the enhanced crop, I make out what appears to be lighter more irregular shaped spots that I attribute to dust.

One reason being is that while on the AA filter, they seem to be irregular enough in shape that light is able to get underneath them and are not lying flat on the filter and blocking all light (that’s why they are grayish not black). The larger spots on the other hand seem to have their edges flat against the filter blocking all light (why they all appear black) with concentric lighter rings, making me feel they are some sort of viscous fluid that is spattered.

So there is my issue, not that I am saying the D7000 is flawed. The probably hundreds of thousands of units without this issue should be evidence of that. But I am growing weary of the comments suggesting that we unfortunate few are the problem, not the camera.

I give kudos to Canon for admitting to the issue and offering free cleanings to its users of their problematic camera. And I can understand Nikon’s reluctance to admit to an issue for a small fraction of units for that would open the flood gates for thousands more without the problem that just wanted a free cleaning. But just cleaning the sensor for those of us with new cameras only a few months old with this issue, then handing us a bill with no further explanation to me is unconscionable.

Well that’s my ranting for the day. Any suggestions or comments?

Pete

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: If not Lubricant…then what?
Reply message OK... what now? RE: If not Lubricant…then what?
                         Reply message Follow up to my previous post
                              Reply message RE: Follow up to my previous post
Reply message RE: Repair update

G