Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 & The Rode Videomic.

Flappers

UK
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Flappers Registered since 03rd Dec 2011
Sat 03-Dec-11 11:22 PM

Hello folks, I'm hoping to be able to grab some advice. Tomorrow night I am to shoot a friends "open mic night". He's doing his stuff (Rap) on stage and has asked me to come along and support him. Now last night, I took my D7000 to a venue and did a test run, I shot approx 20 min of film on full 1080 & using the inbuilt Mic. Sadly I wasn't impressed with my results at all, the sound was poor (was on auto) but I was very close to the speakers... I was using the 18-200 3.5 - 5.6 GII ED VR Lens with the Video settings on auto. Depth of field wasn't great, the camera kept shifting focus on different members of the band. Anyway, I digress, that just shows my ineptitude with the camera, not a fault with the gear. Can you offer me some pointers please, he will be on his own on stage, I have been out today and bought the Rode videomic, I think its the entry level model. (Not the Pro or stereo versions) So I will go tomorrow night with this new Mic, no time to test and still very shaky on how to set the camera up for a manual 1080 shoot with the lens stated above. I also have the D200 & will take some stills with my 50mm 1.4 in available light. So, if needed, and there's the space, I may use the 50 for the Video shoot, all depends on what space I have, no way of knowing till I get there. Basically, can anyone tell me how I should set the manual mode up in Video settings, and, how to optimise the new Mic i have now ? It has three settings from what I can gather after reading whats available online & in box. 0db, -10dB & -20dB and a further "high Pass" setting. I see an Auto setting in-camera & further setting there also, forgive my ignorance, but I'm totally in the dark here & really dont wanna let my friend down. Please help if you can.

Kind regards, Flappers

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 & The Rode Videomic.

G