Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I have my new D7000 finally!

NDGraham

Dorval (Montreal), CA
661 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NDGraham Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007
Tue 29-Nov-11 04:46 AM | edited Tue 29-Nov-11 05:09 AM by NDGraham

I got it from Lozeau's in Montreal for $1149 Canadian. Bought a second battery as well. I decided to start with two Transcend 32Gig Class 10 SDHC cards @$38 each and they seem to work just fine: fast. I might try a more expensive SanDisk at some time in the future to see if image quality is different but it shouldn't be.
The weather has been dull and rainy although warm here the last few days so I haven't taken it out but in low light indoor shots, I am pleased with the colour, sharpness and high ISO performance. I was immediately impressed by how quiet the shutter release is compared to my D300 then I tried the Q "quiet" setting and the shutter click was slow and low! The first photo of our Collies was taken with the D7000 default settings.
I tried the video with my Nikkor 17-55 f2.8. It all worked smoothly. I am really looking forward to getting outside in good light to see how this works.
So far, I am very happy with this camera. I read Ken Rockwell's gushing accolades for the D7000 where he calls it the perfect DSLR.
Seems to be a lot of positive press about it.
My serial number is in the 504xxxx so the focus issue of earlier runs of this model are no longer an issue. The new firmware was easy to install to upgrade to 1.02 1.03.
I want to try the bracketing feature to see how it compares to the D300 as I have been trying HDR since taking Steve Simon's course on the D300 last March. It is quite tricky to get HDR to work well but when it does, it really gives you an enchanced result rich in colour and depth! HDR shots of my garden came out pretty nice. The second photo is an example taken with the D300. I'm wondering if I can get as good a result with the D7000...
Lozeau's is running a course on the D7000 next Sunday morning with Eric Thibeault who sold me the camera. The course will be in English!
So far there are 9 or 10 of us signed up. I'll let you know what it was like next weekend.

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I have my new D7000 finally!

G