Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 Coverage of Walter Moseley event @ISO 6400?!

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
441 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Thu 10-Nov-11 05:07 AM

A week ago tonight I received a call from my cousin that Walter Moseley would be speaking in Boston, and that the organizer wanted a photographer present. She asked if I wouldn't mind coming down and taking some pictures. "No problem" I said as I am always looking for a reason to spend time with my D7000.

Well, the auditorium was dark, and given the distance, I could only use my ultra-cheap Quantarray 70-300 F/4.5-5.5 lens if I wanted to get a close enough shot to make it all worth while. Only problem there, of course, is that now I have to keep my shutter speed as low as I can tolerate it and ISO has to reach for the sky -- like ISO 6400 sky! So I mounted the camera on my Manfrotto tripod (am I glad I own one of these!) and went to work.

Well, to me the pictures are somewhat appalling, but that's not the Nikon's fault. In fact, I am very thankful I had the D7000 as these pictures might otherwise have been very difficult for me to capture. In hindsight, I probably could have used spot metering, acquired an EV from Walter's face, and got away with a lower ISO value, but when I'm on the "spot" I don't always think so clearly.

In any case, this is the best I could do with my D7000 and Adobe Lightroom post processing. All pictures shot in raw, of course. Yes, I have to get a decent lens for these kind of occasions. The Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 is on the top of my list in this regard. Maybe someday.

I'd be interested to hear some feedback, comments, criticisms, etc:

http://www.gondorphotography.com/Assemblies/Blacks-In-Philanthropy/Conversation-with-Walter

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Coverage of Walter Moseley event @ISO 6400?!

G