Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 Dumb Question - RAW + JPEG and Post Processing

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Wed 19-Oct-11 07:09 PM | edited Wed 19-Oct-11 07:17 PM by Ray B

Hi All,

This is probably a dumb question.....

With all the DSLR's I've owned over many years I've always shot RAW only and post processed (for the last few years using Lightroom and currently v3.5)

So, my D7000 settings are normally picture control set to camera standard (at default settings), 12 or 14 bit lossless compressed, auto or custom white balance and Adobe RGB....

...And I'm very happy with my workflow

BUT...

I'm off on an extended trip and want to shoot RAW as I always have, but also a JPEG (for the first time). So I'll take advantage of the 2 card slots on the D7000 this time to record RAW to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2....

The JPEG's from slot 2 will be uploaded to social networking sites and the like and my iPad whilst I travel, leaving the RAW's on slot 1 for usual post processing when I get home.

Simple so far? I reckon so

Having experimented with getting finished JPEG's out of the camera to my liking I've got there but - things change, notably switching from Adobe to SRGB, I like Vivid or Standard with extra sharpening etc etc.

So, I'm happy with my usual RAW workflow, and have found the (different) settings that work for me with JPEG ....

BUT.... THE STUPID QUESTION........

Do the changes I make to give me that JPEG I like affect my trusty RAW when I import it into Lightroom 3.5, will I now be defaulted to sRGB and a vivid pic with extra sharpening etc applied or will my trusty RAW file ignore all these new settings ??

I'm going blind searching online for an explicit answer !!!

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Dumb Question - RAW + JPEG and Post Processin...

G