Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post.

Vlad_IT

US
1353 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Thu 13-Oct-11 12:56 PM | edited Thu 13-Oct-11 02:24 PM by Vlad_IT

Hi all.

After reading many posts about how confortable D7000 with the grip - I WANT ONE!!! Just I need to make a decision if I should go with the original one or cheaper version will be sufficient. Most important for me at this time to find out where do I put the grip purchase on my NAS list.

There is no doubt about that grip + handheld = love. But I’m afraid I will be forced to take the grip off each time I need to shoot from a tripod. And that’s will put the grip down on my wish list. BTW, how easy to take it off and put it on?

Can anyone test the following scenario for me and post result pictures. There are L-bracket for D7000 body and D7000 grip. This implies D7000 with the grip can be used on tripod. From my former-engineer’s point of view, the grip is just a physical layer of plastic between a tripod head and lens/sensor. So unless this layer is rock-solid it will undermine any investments into RRS or Gitzo, when using a grip. I need to know / understand if I must take off the grip before taking pictures using a tripod or it can be “On-Demand” feature, as sharpness of the image will remain good.

Please take a shot of something with text (or a photo chart) with grip and without grip, using a good tripod in “S”ingle shot mode (not “Q”), using remote release (to prevent human error), BUT WITHOUT 1 second shutter delay set on. This way we will find out how compromised (if any) sharpness is just from the motion of the mirror itself (meaning that any other physical force will compromise sharpness even more with using the grip on a tripod).

If would be great to find out if Nikon original grip performs any better than Chinese aftermarket one when on tripod.

Sincerely thank you,
Vlad

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post...

G