Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

MB-D11 Latch Comparison with Neewer MK-D7000

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4179 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Sun 09-Oct-11 04:33 AM | edited Sun 09-Oct-11 04:37 AM by DeanAZ

In another thread I posted my impression that I thought the Neewer Meike MK-D7000 grip was flawed with respect to the latch on the battery tray. Mine broke almost immediately and I was able to return it for credit. After examining my Nikon MB-D11 grip which just arrived today I find that at first glance the latch mechanisms seem to be nearly identical. On a closer inspection I see that the shaft on the Nikon latch is smaller in diameter than the Meike model. This allows for more plastic stock around the shaft for a stronger more durable connection on the Nikon.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=10686&mesg_id=10686&page=

In operation the latch mechanism seems smoother and I can feel when I have properly secured the tray latch.

Also, the lock wheel is geared on the Nikon and a direct drive on the Meike. The Nikon does not rattle as the Meike did. The control wheels operate as expected on the Nikon grip.

I've considered the argument that you can buy five off brand units for the price of one Nikon grip but when I'm shooting and replacing a tray I don't even want to have to stop and think about being extra careful. I just want it to work for a very long time as I expect from the rest of my gear. I really wanted to try the Meike grip and save the money but I can't have something like this breaking when I'm using my gear in the field.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

G