Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Updating to Firmware 1.04 and focusing changes

jamtins

Meadow Heights, AU
87 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jamtins Registered since 03rd May 2011
Wed 21-Sep-11 07:53 AM

Hi there,
I cannot find among the data any reference to the firmware 1.04 making any changes to the focusing on the D7000, so have really ignored it, as the few things it does seem to fix aren't a big deal at our house.

I placed an order for the D7000 as soon as it was released and got one of the first three my dealer shipped in.

From the get go, it has given me grief with its autofocus system, and despite all the helpful hints from this forum, the problem of it locking the focus and then having a zen moment and deciding that really something else would be more interesting, or completely defocusing has continued to concern me.

Depth of field, focus fine tune, + and -, fast shutter speeds, Mup, cable release, 3 pound of bean bag, a tripod with a sand bag has never seemed to nail the problem.
Mostly, I have placed most of the blame on the lenses, including a 500mm f/4. (well after all it couldn't be my technique could it?).
So I had pretty much filed the D7000 in the lower shelf of the cabinet, that contains a few buried treasures, such as a D80, D100, Kodak 460. Stuff for the grandkids to throw out.

I decided to book the lens in for service, and was chatting with the Nikon tech, who also suggested that I might bring in the D7000, and they might see if they can make them play together properly. He suggested that it would be useful (save some time) if I popped in the 1.04 firmware.

So I did, and just to check I took some images. They are sharp.
So, the long winded question is:
Does anyone have a similar experience with 1.04 affecting the focus.
Or should I consider my normal paranoia normal?

I did a field shoot with it today, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they still seemed to lock in sharp, even birds in flight. (not my greatest strong point).

My worry of course is that tomorrow when I shoot it will all be back the way it was.

There seems to be no suggestion that the 1.04 affects the focus, and I am further wondering if there was changes to the software in the camera after release and later models didn't have this problem.

Anyway the Lens is off to have its oil and grease and should be fine, the D7000 can go along for the ride, and see what a tech might make of it.

Thanks for putting up with the long winded question, but any insight on possible changes to the focusing would be appreciated.

PS< it also seems to work fine with the TC 1.7 I used today, no back or front focus, just focus.

Thanks

DJ

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Updating to Firmware 1.04 and focusing changes