Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Disappointing test results for jpeg performance published - overexposure

Davidpeter1

Cardiff, UK
575 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Davidpeter1 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2004
Sat 17-Sep-11 05:54 PM

The October 2011 issue of a well known UK photography magazine has done a comparison of the jpeg images produced by four current similar level cameras, the D7000, Canon 600D, a Sony, and a Pentax. The D7000 outperformed the others in a low light conditions, but for more normal conditions, in daylight outdoors, it came bottom of the pile by some way with overexposure of between half and a whole stop, and yellow colour casts, general inconsistancy.

The camera was praised for low noise, but condemned for not getting the basics of exposure right. The result was that when all the scores were totalled, the Nikon was bottom, Sony was well received for best tonal range, and the Canon was judged to be the best overall. This even surprised the team doing the tests. I think the Nikon was also the most expensive of the cameras.

Another October magazine has done a full test on the D5100, and mentions that it doesnt suffer from the exposure problems of the D7000.

Now, all this has got me concerned. I've got a D200 and have been watching for a sensible replacement for a long time, and had hoped that the D7000 was going to be the one. I'm not too worried that it doesn't have the swing out screen of the D5100, although it would have been nice, but at least it can focus with all my older lenses. But that's no good if it's picture quality is beaten by the offerings of all the other brands, and I have to pay more for the privelidge.

So, can anyone tell me whether there is a bit of a problem with the D7000 exposure or am I just being spooked by something that isn't causing trouble for everyday users?
thanks

David.

Cardiff,Britain.

BE A BLOOD + BONE MARROW DONOR TO FIGHT CANCER, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE.
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16427

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Disappointing test results for jpeg performance pub...
Reply message RE: Disappointing test results.....welcome to the world...
Reply message RE:Review the reviewer?
Reply message RE:Review the reviewer?

G