Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto Focus Fine Tune

TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US
214 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Wed 24-Aug-11 02:51 AM

My question is, What is the right way to set up a given lens using the auto focus fine tune feature for.

I'm wanting to use this feature for prime lens only. Yesterday I set aside an hour to fine tune in my 500mm f4 lens and below is the steps I used.

Rigid studio tripod. Test chart at 18 feet. lens parallel to the chart. I manually focused the lens on the chart and took a shot of the chart at each f stop to find my lens sweet spot (F8) for sharpness.

So I set the lens to f8 and began to use the auto focus feature. I started ad +20 and took a picture at +20 +15 +10 +5 0 -5 -1- -15 and -20. Pulled the card and looked on my pc and did not see any change in focus. All were tack sharp. So my question is help please.

How am I suppose to find out if the lens is in tune with my d7k if I don't know what I"m doing.

Do I use auto focus each and every time for every shot I take with the different values of the auto tune? In other words do I pull the camera out of focus for each shot and let the auto focus do its thing?

I'm a bit confused.
I tried 4 prime lens and came up with the same results on all of them.

I remember reading that some people use the auto tune to have more front focus, and some for more rear focus.

I"ll ask the experts before I continue on my blind path.

I think I really just want to find a nice balance with my lens. 1/3rd front focus and 2/3Rd's back focus. Thanks, Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G