Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

No longer using Matrix Metering on my D7K

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
440 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Thu 11-Aug-11 03:18 AM

As mentioned in the thread about Ken Rockwell's review of the D7000, I mentioned that I no longer use the Matrix metering mode on my D7K. Why not? I have encountered too many situations where I am taking pictures of various scenes on a sunny day, only to have the shots come out over exposed. I am constantly doing this!

So that's it, I am simply tired of having to think about how my D7K is going to interpret a scene and whether it's going to give me an overexposed shot. Now, I only shoot raw, so oftentimes I can salvage the picture, but it never looks quite as well as it would have if exposed properly in the first place. Therefore, about a week ago, I made the decision to switch to Center Weighted metering mode, set my center circle to simply average out the entire frame, and be done with it. I am getting consistently well exposed shots now and I am happy.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: No longer using Matrix Metering on my D7K
Reply message RE: I find matrix extremely good for most subjects with...
Reply message RE: Now fine tune optimal exposure