Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

unscientific exposure tests

skiroc

Redlands, US
216 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
skiroc Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sun 31-Jul-11 03:22 AM

I recently bought the D7000 and with that am getting more serious about learning the ins and outs of the camera and learning what it can do, and what it does.

Below are pictures that were taken with the exposures listed below - all with the Nikon 16 - 35 f/2.8 lens. I shoot all my pictures with both RAW and jpeg, these are obviously the jpegs. I know with the RAW I can do quite a bit of post processing, but I did want to see what I could do with various settings right to jpeg. Pictures were taken in the Big Pine drainage of the eastern Sierra. I wasn't worried about composition or the fact that it was mid-day, this was only an exposure test for a typical environment I shoot in.

1. Auto
2. Scene mode - landscape

Aperture priority with ISO 200, WB sunny - with Picture controls of
3. Standard
4. Vivid
5. Landscape

So that's 5 different exposures. The pictures posted below are directly from the camera with no post processing. Which picture do you like best? After a number of posts, I'll let everyone know which picture is which.

I also appreciate any comments about this test or results. What are your typical settings in this kind of environment?

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.