Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

sharpening level with macro

rdudley

Etna, US
219 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
rdudley Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005
Wed 20-Jul-11 06:46 PM

I am curious as to how people set sharpening when using macro. With the D7000 it seems to need more sharpening in macro than when taking "normal pictures".

I am using a Tamron 90 macro lens but on the D7000. I have been somewhat less satisfied with the results (compared to a D80 with the same lens). I tend not to use raw and prefer to use less post processing unless I need it.

I normally use picture control set to Vivid and have recently upped the default sharpening by one or two notches which helped a bit...

I just took a batch in raw and looked at these with Capture NX2 where I could change the sharpening to see the effect. But still no clear understanding as to what is going on and only a very minor effect unless sharpening was maxed out.

I use a monopod, so am pretty much stuck with auto focus... but I don't see other parts of the image sharp, so I don't think that is the "problem".... I'll try to find some high speed closed down examples shortly.

Richard
Etna, New York, USA

http://earth01.net/RGDudley/
http://rdudley.smugmug.com/
My Nikonians Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: sharpening level with macro