Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash Icon blinking in viewfinder

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011
Mon 18-Jul-11 03:59 AM

I was on a European vacation with my D7000. On a number of occasions in bright daylight, the flash icon was blinking in the viewfinder. I looked it up in either my Nikon manual or Thom Hogan's book (I forget which) and it says that when that icon blinks, it means you need your flash.

I have to tell you that at the time I was shooting aperture priority, and the camera was selecting, in at least one case, a shutter speed of 1/640. There was no need for flash and when I took the pictures, they came out fine.

Part of me says "don't worry about it", and part of me is concerned. Has anyone else experienced this?

I imagine someone will ask me to post the image and the EXIF, but I can't. I took about 2300 images on this trip and I didn't really keep track of when it came up; but, I can tell you the situation came up many times. In each case, the light was good, with aperture priority the shutter speed selected by the camera was over 1/125, and the picture came out fine, despite the absence of a flash.

Mike

G