Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Whats the most you would fine tune focus a lens before you decide to return it?

lewys

UK
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lewys Registered since 07th Jun 2011
Tue 28-Jun-11 02:03 PM | edited Tue 28-Jun-11 06:46 PM by lewys

Hi, first post here.

I have just bought a second hand Sigma 70-200 2.8 II (non OS) and it is front focusing.
I payed £299 (they go for around £580 new here) and if i use the fine tune focus which is built into the camera i have to set it to +17 to get it about right (it goes to +20).

I have bought 3 of these lenses which i have got online before and everyone of them has front focused on my d90 and d7000 so i have sent them back. Is there a problem with most of the 70-200 sigma's or am i just unlucky? It isnt my camera as i have tried it on two of my bodies and even took it to a near by camera store for them to look at and it has happened on the bodies they use too.

Like I said, this one is £299 and i cant really afford to pay full price at the moment for a brand new one and it seems to be fine when i use the fine tune focus but i was wondering if +17 is too much to fine tune it by.

Should i stick with this second hand one and carry on using it with fine tune focus or should i return it and just save up and get a brand new one in a couple of weeks?

Thanks a lot

G