Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thank you, Nikonians, for helping me to learn to love my D7000!

rgcoleman9

Kingston Springs, US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rgcoleman9 Registered since 01st Apr 2010
Mon 27-Jun-11 01:00 AM

Greetings, Nikonians!

A little history:

My parents gave me a Nikon FG way back when I was in high school, and I enjoyed playing with it--even took a class and learned to develop and print B&W film. But the high cost of film and processing combined with my limited income meant I did not take a whole lot of pictures. I was more interested in music, anyway.

When the digital era dawned, I was intrigued but cameras were expensive. But in 2006, I finally bought a Nikon Coolpix L3. It was cheap, but boy, was I disappointed with the shutterlag and the dull tint of the images. It was a fun toy, but frustrating to use. In 2007, I bought myself a D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-200mm for around $600 at the local Best Buy. That seemed like a lot of money at the time, but I had done my research and it was a genuine bargain, all things considered. I loved that camera right out of the box and over the years, I've learned a lot about photography by exploring its possibilities.

Well, when the D7000 was announced last year, NAS began to insinuate itself big time and I found myself suffering from severe gear lust. There were things about the D40 which frustrated me (e.g. low frame rate, indirect controls) and it was clear the D7000 provided almost unlimited potential. I became obsessed.

Well, about two months ago, I gave in and bought the D7000 kit with the 18-105mm VR. Without really reading the manual, I clicked off some photos. Huh?! They were awful. I read the (cryptic, badly translated) manual and tried again. Better, but noticeably "soft." Well, to make a long story short, I consulted Nikonians forums and found out that my handholding technique was faulty, not the camera. Moreover, I came to understand that the camera's very sophisticated metering, focus modes and picture controls work VERY differently from the D40 and require a whole other level of thinking before I press the shutter. I bought Thom Hogan's massive book and have read it through now, twice, and I just now feel like I've got a handle on what's going on with this camera. When I've got my act together, the D7000 takes amazing pictures. But it is not as "forgiving" as my D40.

I get the sense from reading these forums that my story is not unusual. Going from a D40 to a D7000 is a HUGE step up and is frankly intimidating. I very much appreciate the time you Nikonians take to share your knowledge with the world of camera enthusiasts like me.

I apologize for the long post, but I want you all to know that Nikonians has been such a valuable resource during this transition, I've been inspired me to upgrade to a Silver membership. And I have even started shooting RAW...

Thank you all.

Best regards,
--Rodger

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thank you, Nikonians, for helping me to learn to lo...

G