Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SOLVED!!! (I think!) D7000 AF-L problem...

fivehitsweak

AU
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fivehitsweak Registered since 21st Jun 2011
Wed 22-Jun-11 02:52 AM | edited Wed 22-Jun-11 03:04 AM by fivehitsweak

Hi Guys, I am as of yesterday a proud Nikon D7000 owner, having upgraded from a Canon EOS20D that I have had for about 6 years. I am having a strange problem with my D7000 though (problem or brain failure?):

Twice now, under different circumstances the auto-focus lock has come on automatically (i.e. without me pressing anything). I don't mean when I hold the shutter release half way down, I mean that AF-L has come on, including the AF-L icon in the Viewfinder. The AF-L then seems to randomly cycle on and off, again without me pressing anything, complete with the AF-L icon flashing on and off in the view finder. Both times this has happened it stopped after about 10 seconds (possibly when metering stopped?)

While it is happening the lens sounds like it is cycling the focusing and I cannot interrupt it by pressing the shutter button.

This last time it happened I had the camera in Aperture Priority, Center weighted metering, AF-S auto focus mode. My AE-L AF-L button is set to the AE-L HOLD option but like I said, I didn't press it!

Has anyone else come across this problem? Or am I just being a D7000 newb and doing something stupid without realizing it?

Thanks in advance guys!

Ben

EDIT: I think I solved it, I think I was accidentally hitting the DOF preview button without realizing it! This illuminates the AF-L Icon and the noise I was hearing was of course the aperture stopping down! If you gently rest on the preview button it kind of cycles randomly on and off.

So there you go, it was a touch of newbitus!

An English man in rural Australia.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SOLVED!!! (I think!) D7000 AF-L problem...
Reply message Thanks Larry

G